The Essentials for PMO Administrators qualification is suitable for complete beginners and those currently in support roles within a PMO (for example Project Administrators, Project Co-ordinator and Project Support Officers). It is also suitable for aspiring Project Managers with minimal project management knowledge looking to gain a foothold in their career.
Why should you consider the Essentials for PMO Administrators?
- Gain the essential knowledge and understanding to undertake the role of a PMO Administrator.
- Demonstrate a greater understanding of projects, programmes, portfolios and the PMOs.
- Understand and articulate the core roles and responsibilities of a PMO Administrator role.
- Learn about the essential competences, knowledge, skills and behaviours required to perform the role of a PMO Administrator successfully.
- Discover the PMO services offered and how they are delivered by PMO Administrators.
- Continue your professional and personal development journey in working in a PMO and the PMO Administrator role.
There are also numerous benefits to the organisation with employees taking the Essentials for PMO Administrator course, these include:
- Provide training for those in the organisation new to project management and PMOs.
- Improve capability and competence to support the organisation’s projects, programmes and portfolios.
- Align development of PMO staff with the PMO professional body standards.
- Help staff develop their competences, knowledge, skills and behaviours in P3M and PMO and deploy back in the workplace
- Provide a training and development roadmap and enhanced career prospects for all levels of PMO professionals within the business – improve morale and employee commitment.
In the Essentials for PMO Administrators course you will:
- Learn essential Project, Programme and Portfolio Management principles and terminology
- Discover the four key roles in a Project Management Office; Administrator, Analyst, Manager and Director
- Explore the responsibilities, knowledge, skills and behaviour needed to be a successful PMO Administrator.
- Understand the core and essential delivery support requirements in change control; financial management, information management, issue management, reporting (insights analysis) and risk management.
In the course, learners will cover fours areas:
- Learn key facts, including terms, concepts, principles, life cycle phases and components, products, techniques, roles and responsibilities from the relevant texts, including:
- definitions such as business as usual; projects and project management; programmes and programme management; portfolio and portfolio management; P3M and PMO/P3O and their respective offices
- Understand the processes, documentation, roles, skills, behaviours, procedures, tools and techniques and can explain how these are used in executive the PMO role, such as:
- Core elements and processes of P3M
- P3M lifecycle phases and governance mechanisms
- Characteristics of Agile projects
- Typical P3M organisation structures and roles & responsibilities
- Key documentation and its purpose
- The service-based PMO
- The purpose and content of a PMO service catalogue
- Learn facts, terms and concepts relating to the PMO roles. Specifically, to recall:
- The purpose of the four key PMO roles
- The key responsibilities of the PMO Administrator
- The key knowledge required to undertake the role of the PMO Administrator.
- The key skills of the PMO Administrator
- The key behaviours of an effective PMO Administrator.
- Understand terms and concepts relating to the PMO Roles. Specifically, to:
- Understand the purpose of the four key PMO roles and how they relate to each other
- Understand the key responsibilities of the PMO Administrator and how to execute those responsibilities
- Understand potential sources of the key knowledge required to undertake the role and how to obtain it.
- Understand how to apply the key skills whilst undertaking the role of the PMO Administrator.
- Understand the impact of demonstrating the key behaviours of a PMO Administrator.
- Learn about terms and concepts relating to the P3M Administration competence. Specifically, to recall the definition of competence and the potential services that require this competence and how to deliver these services.
- Learn about the key documents and artefacts required.
P3M Delivery Support
- Learn about terms and concepts relating to the P3M Delivery Support competence and the PMO services that require these competences and how to deliver the services:
- Change Control
- Information Management
- Issue Management
- Reporting, Insights and Analysis
- Risk Management
- Financial Management
- Learn about tasks and activities such as maintaining issue logs; collating reports; facilitating a risk workshop; budgeting and creating configuration management standards.
After the course, learners will be able to:
- Understand about projects, programmes and portfolios and the role the PMO has in supporting successful delivery.
- Be able to articulate what the different roles are in a PMO and why they are needed.
- Understand what is required to perform the role of a PMO Administrator successfully.
- Be able to provide PMO services of secretariat and administration alongside the key areas of change control; information management; issue management; reporting and risk management.
- Kickstart a career within project management and PMO with confidence.
If you’ve completed the Essentials for PMO Administrators™, then there are a few ways you can continue your training.
If you want to carry on with the House of PMO Essentials™ certifications, then your next step is the Essentials for PMO Analysts™ (launching in July 2021)
You can also look at the P3O Foundation course.
If you’re looking for something more specific to your organisation, whether it’s implementing Agile or getting a grip on Benefits Management, browse our specialist courses.