Essentials for PMO Managers Training and Certification is aimed at current PMO Managers or PMO Leads, especially those new or moving into this role. The training is also suitable for those aspiring to be PMO Managers and senior Project or Programme Managers moving into a PMO leadership position.
Why should you consider the Essentials for PMO Managers?
- Gain the essential knowledge and understanding to undertake the role of a PMO Manager
- Understand and articulate the core roles and responsibilities of a PMO Manager role.
- Learn about the essential competences, knowledge, skills and behaviours required to perform the role of a PMO Manager successfully.
- Explore the PMO services offered and how they are delivered by PMO Managers.
- Continue your professional and personal development journey in working in a PMO and the PMO Manager role.
- Discover the fundamentals of the design, set up, implementation, running and closing down of a PMO service.
There are also numerous benefits to the organisation with employees taking the Essentials for PMO Managers course, these include:
- Provide training for those in the organisation currently working in project management and PMOs.
- Improve capability and competence to support the organisation’s projects, programmes and portfolios.
- Align development of PMO staff with the PMO professional body standards.
- Help staff develop their competences, knowledge, skills and behaviours in P3M and PMO and deploy back in the workplace
- Provide a training and development roadmap and enhanced career prospects for all levels of PMO professionals within the business – improve morale and employee commitment.
- Help organisations to demonstrate the professional competence of their PMO Manager
- Helping organisations with effective and efficient PMO design
In the Essentials for PMO Managers course you will:
Understand the role of the PMO Manager and the context within which the PMO Manager works. Specifically, it will cover:
- The P3M and PMO context
- The four key roles within a PMO
- The competences required to successfully to undertake the role of a PMO Manager and how they can be applied
- The four domains defined within the Cynefin model
- The effective approach for each domain within the Cynefin model
- The activities in each approach
- Select an appropriate model for a given scenario
- The recommended practices to be employed within the Cynefin model
- The four stages of the PMO Lifecycle
- How a delivery framework is used to design, implement, transform and close a PMO
- The purpose of the four key PMO roles and how they relate to each other
- The key responsibilities of the PMO Manager and how to execute them effectively
- The key knowledge required to undertake the role of the PMO Manager and potential sources
- The key skills of the PMO Manager and how to apply them
- The key behaviours of an effective PMO Manager and their impact
- The definition and description of the competence
- Key terms and artefacts relating to the competence, specifically:
- Stopping projects and programmes going wrong
- Providing the buffer (bridge) between the P3M community and the rest of the organisation
- Being the corporate conscience / critical friend.
- The potential services that require this specific competences and how the competences are used in the delivery of those services.
- Definition of PMO Management
- PMO services that require PMO Management:
- PMO Development
- PMO Design
- PMO Benchmarking
- Key terms and artefacts:
- PMO Roadmap
- Key Performance Indicators
- P3 Maturity Assessments
- Setting up a PMO
- Running a PMO
- Transforming a PMO
- Closing Down a PMO
- Capacity Management competence
- Resource forecasting for current portfolio
- Utilisation reporting
- Maintain record of resource commitments
- Capability Development competence
- Develop and operate a mentoring scheme
- Create training director
- Undertake delivery competency assessment
- Governance Frameworks competence
- Develop terms of reference for governance bodies
- Maintain RASCI matrix for the project / programme
- Investigate conflicts of governance
- Assurance competence
- Schedule peer review
- Product, project, programme Integrated Assurance and Approvals Plan
- Maintain audit recommendations action plan.
- Delivery Methods competence
- Tailoring of corporate standards, processes, procedures and templates
- Method consultancy at project and programme start up
- Induction training for new resources
- P3M Tools competence
- Provide access to P3M tools
- Training on P3M tools
- Tailoring P3M tools for a project or programme.
To see the full syllabus from APMG International >> Download it here <<
In the course, you will learn:
- The essential knowledge and skills needed to undertake the role of a PMO Manager
- How PMOs support project, programme and portfolio management activity
- The four key roles within a PMO and when different types of PMOs are required
- The competencies required to successfully undertake the role of a PMO Manager – including governance, delivery frameworks, assurance, capability and capacity
After the course, learners will be able to:
- How a delivery framework is used to design, implement, transform, and close a PMO.
- The purpose of the four key PMO roles
- The key responsibilities of the PMO Manager and how to execute those responsibilities
- How to apply the key skills whilst undertaking the role of the PMO Manager.
- Progress career development within project management and the PMO with confidence.
If you’ve completed the Essentials for PMO Managers™, then there are a few ways you can continue your training.
If you want to carry on with the House of PMO Essentials™ certifications, then your next step is the Essentials for PMO Directors™ (launching in 2022)
You can also look at the P3O® Practitioner, or MoP® Practitioner course.
If you’re looking for something more specific to your organisation, whether it’s implementing Agile or getting a grip on Benefits Management, browse our specialist courses.