PMO practitioners have chosen MoP® because they’re working at a portfolio level – within a Portfolio Management Office or an Enterprise PMO (ePMO). In this type of role, it is important to understand how portfolio management determines which projects and programmes an organisation decides to do and when.
There’s long been a saying that portfolio management is about doing the right projects and project management is about doing the projects right.
For PMO practitioners with minimal experience in portfolio management, the Foundation level is the place to start.
We recently released this series of blogs taking a deep dive into our courses, bringing you one slide/topic to discuss, to give you a better understanding of the content we cover. This week we are focusing on MoP®. Check out our other deep dive blogs on P3O® Foundation and Essentials for PMO Managers.
On Day 1 of the MoP® Foundation course, we look at ways to implement, sustain and measure portfolio management. This includes:
- 3 broad approaches to implementing portfolio management
- First 7 steps to implementing portfolio management
- How to sustain progress in implementing portfolio management
- Assessing portfolio management maturity
- Metrics to assess the impact of portfolio management
- Benefits of assessing the impact of portfolio management
The slide below looks at some of the ways to sustain progress in implementing portfolio management.
Factors to consider to sustain progress:
- A senior level sponsor to maintain focus at the highest level and to continually promote a portfolio-level view.
- An incremental or staged approach, starting with areas of greatest need to demonstrate the value of portfolio management with some ‘quick wins’.
- Building on existing organisational processes and not reinventing wheels or changing things that do not need changing.
- Being clear about the success criteria.
- Regular assessment of progress – not just in terms of meeting milestones, but more significantly in relation to the benefits realized and progress against the agreed success criteria.
- Effective and on-going stakeholder engagement
If you would like to further your knowledge in portfolio management then join us on our next virtual MoP® Foundation course! If you are still unsure or would like more information about the course, then take a look at our recent recording of our taster session.
Enjoying Our Blog?
Sign up and receive all our articles (we’ll send you an update once a week!) plus special offers and events:
The MoP® courses on this page are offered by PMO Learning. MoP® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited. MoP® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The P3O® courses on this page are offered by PMO Learning. P3O® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved. P3O® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.