AIPMO – IPMO-Foundation™ Certification
Learning Approach: Classroom
Duration: 4 days (5 days via virtual classroom)
Virtual Course Timings: 9.15am to 3pm UK time each day
Exam: 1 hour, 50 multiple choice questions
Certification Body: AIPMO
Classroom Price: £2400 + VAT (discounts may apply)
- Ideally one year plus experience in projects and/or PMOs
- Educated to degree level or similar
- One year plus of business experience
Pre-Reading: A small amount of pre-reading is required for this course. It is distributed approximately two weeks before the course start.
*Pre-requisites are an indication of the level of experience expected of delegates.
The IPMO-Foundation level course is specifically for:
- PMO/Project/Programme/Portfolio Office team members
- New PMO Managers
- Project team members involved in the PMO related activities
- Project/Programme/Portfolio Management practitioners with some experience in PMOs
- Any Project or PMO stakeholder wishing to understand better how PMOs operate and the services and capabilities they have.
The course is designed to be hands-on, encompassing the day-to-day operational aspects of PMOs by detailing the challenges and best practices to improve the running, monitoring and controlling of a PMO.
This course brings together the latest in research and best practices into a PMO lifecycle framework that focuses on PMO capabilities especially for Project, Programme and Portfolio Management Offices; your role(s) in running, monitoring and controlling a PMO; and what exactly is PMO success, PMO maturity; and how both are connected, including their influences on project success.
Course modules include:
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Building the Context and Need for PMOs
- Module 3: PMO Lifecycle Framework
- Module 4: Developing Capabilities and Services within the PMO
- Module 5: PMO Success, PMO Maturity and their Connection
- Module 6: Implementing PMO Services
- Module 7: PMO Service Design
- Module 8: Run, Monitor and Control Services within a PMO
- Module 9: PMO Service Management and Improvement
- Module 10: PMO Service Transition or Retirement
Download the full course breakdown here.
In the course, learners will:
- Learn how PMOs fit into the world of Projects, Programmes and Portfolios
- Understand the benefits of viewing PMOs in terms of services
- Learn about PMO capabilities and how they are constructed in terms of competencies, tools and techniques
- Explore the PMO lifecycle framework and which phases and processes are most relevant for a PMO team member
- Discuss the critical PMO tools and techniques and take that knowledge back into the workplace.
- Identify the key documents PMO use to run, monitor and control PMOs
- Become confident in knowing what to do in the majority of types of PMOs
- Gain hands-on experience applying the PMO lifecycle in the 4-day case study
- Prepare to pass the AIPMO-Foundation exam and become IPMO-Foundation certified.
After the course, learners will be able to:
- Increase the value of PMOs in their organisations.
- Demonstrate a greater understanding of Project, Programme and Portfolio Management in the context of PMOs.
- Demonstrate a better understanding of which PMO services and functions are required.
- Focus development on the core set of PMO capabilities required to deliver services of their PMO
- Focus development on the PMO tools and techniques knowledge specific to core PMO services
- Share group experiences and develop knowledge within the organisation.
- Demonstrate progress to becoming a competent PMO practitioner.
If you’ve taken the AIPMO IPMO-Foundation course, then there are a few ways you can continue your training.
If you’d like to continue with the AIPMO qualifications, you might want to consider attending AIPMO IPMO-Practitioner in about a year or if you move into a more senior role.
If you’d like an idea of a broader understanding of PMOs, take a look at P3O Foundation.
If you’re looking for something more specific to your organisation, whether it’s implementing Agile or getting a grip on Benefits Management, browse our specialist courses.